Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Week 46 Moda BlockHeads Cat and Dog by Jan Patek

Week 46!  Two blocks to go!  This week is a cute applique from Jan Patek.  Before I get to the pattern, I need to explain why the link didn't work to send you to Jo's pattern....I wrote the blog early, before going on retreat.  I tested and thought everything was ok and set it to post.  I thought things were fine until a message came to me saying that it did not work.  At this retreat the devices might as well be left at home.  Internet service is awful.  And, for some reason, even if it did work, I can't post from the iPhone or iPad to the blog.  For these very reasons, I always post the contact info a the bottom of the page with each BlockHead blog so you can reach all of us.  Hope it did not cause too much confusion or problems, my apologies.

  Question of the Week....When you stitch, hand or machine, do you listen to anything?  Music, podcasts, audiobooks, television, or Netflix?
Netflix when in the sewing room.  Television when hand stitching.  For hand stitching, a binge of shows or a movie or regular programming is fine with me.  I stitch in the living room and can watch with my husband, but only if we agree to watch the same show!

Thank you Jan for including a dog and a cat!  I'm a cat person, and have 2, Molly and Hudson. Black and white tuxedo cats, siblings from 2 litters, and had same mom and same dad.  Neither would forgive me if I included the dog....so I stitched 2 kitties...
You might want 2 dogs!



Click Here for Jan's pattern.

The black prints are from Evelyn's Homestead which will be arriving in shops in March.  Background is from Rachel Remembered.

3" Mini Penny block is a Cat and Mouse variation, simplified because of the size.

To make this block, cut 5 black squares and 4 gray, or 2nd black print, 1 1/4".
Cut 1 cream square 4", cut again in an X and 2 cream squares 1 1/2" cut again /.
Cream parts are oversized.
Sew squares as shown, add cream triangles to sides of units with 2 squares, and sew to sides of center section.

Press and trim block to 3 1/2" before adding corner triangles. Press well and trim corners for block to measure 3 1/2" for a 3" block.



Please visit my friends, links below, to see what they have made.

Here is what I made at retreat.  I've never worked on just one quilt at a retreat...it was intense.  You will have quite a wait to see this beauty, so stay tuned!
1000s of seams!!! and I enjoyed every one!  :-) 


Until next time,
~ Betsy

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had fun on your retreat (but then, who doesn't? - wink!). I can't wait to see the "reveal". Most of my work is by hand and I watch old movies or classic TV when I stitch. My kids tease me that I don't watch anything in color! Love your mini this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your kitties and your little block but I don't like applique and now look for an alternate pieced cat block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your retreat project looks like it must be something really marvellous - like Gone to Texas. "Quite a wait" - you're such a meanie :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the block as 2 kitties! Looking forward to seeing the other side of all those seams! :-)

    ReplyDelete